Love is to let those we love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image... otherwise we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them. ~Author Unknown

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Passion . . . Photography

"Sometimes I get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." ~Ansel Adams. Photographer/artist

            Wow, doesn't that quote by Ansel Adams say it all?  I am so blessed that I've stumbled upon several scenes when God was ready for me to click the button. 

            I am NOT a good photographer.  I struggle with composition, and all those camera settings:  aperture, shutter speed, ISO, exposures, and a multitude of things my Nikon D5000 is capable of that I have yet to master.  I have the DVD, I've spent countless hours on Nikon's website, and read two photography books.  I still have so much to learn.
            But what I DO possess is a Passion for photography.  I've had a deep interest in photography since a child.  I would stare at the National Geographic in particular, marvel at the photographs, and dream of recreating those amazing photos.  Different angles, odd shots, and unusual subjects intrigued me.

I think a photography class should be a requirement in all educational programs because it makes you see the world . . . rather than just look at it.  ~Author Unknown

            I went through all the standard 1970's cameras -- the Polaroid Swinger, the Kodak disc, and a Kodak 110.  I vividly remember my first 35 mm film camera in the late 80's which we purchased to preserve all those treasured photos of our growing children.  Canon and Fugi digital cameras followed over the next 10 years. 
            Yet, the 'delay' of the photographic moment is what frustrated and perplexed me.  I wanted a photo of that split second the baby smiles for the first time, the fish jumps from the water, the bird soars across my head, or the skier cuts precisely around the buoy on the slalom course.  Regular "point and shoot" digital cameras have a 'hesitation' while the mirrors adjust before the image can be transferred to the camera's memory.  Also, auto-focus can delay the instantaneous photo you desire.
            My dreams came true this past summer (2010).  Don and my children gave me a Nikon D5000 digital SLR camera for my birthday.  Yes, I cried. 
            I have had an incredible time with this camera and am constantly learning more and more about it.  I am partial to manual focus especially when photographing fast moving sports/objects such as water skiing. 

My portraits are more about me than they are about the people I photograph.  ~Richard Avedon 

             I can relate to this quote.  Photographs not only tell something about the subject, but about the photographer -- their interests, likes/dislikes, and even how they view the world.  Some enjoy black/white photography, some prefer sports, some prefer landscapes, and so on. 
            When I look back at photograph's I've taken, some of them clearly show my feelings, and how I viewed the subject and the world at that precise moment.

A good snapshot stops a moment from running away.  ~Eudora Welty

         I hope to take a photograph that will make you go "ahhhhhh", create a stirring in your soul, a memory, or as the quote above states, "stop a moment from running away".   THAT is what I strive for.

          In closing, let me leave you with this quote:

"There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera.  And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed.  Don't be bitter because you can't record it.  Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!"  ~DeGriff

{Thanks to Don, for the most wonderful gift ever !!|


No comments:

Post a Comment